About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Do Charter Schools Grade their Own Regents?



I've read in several places that charter schools grade their own Regents exams (see hereherehere and here).  I read it only on blogs and comments on blogs.

I have not read this story in the mainstream media.  I could ask why, but I already suspect the answer.  The story doesn't involve bashing public schools and it might, potentially, make charters seem suspect.  

Let's do an academic exercise in twenty-first century school-news reporting.  Which headline below do you think is from the mainstream media and which is from a blog post?

1.  EXCLUSIVE:  State test scores drop after teachers are barred from grading exams from their own schools.

2.  Daily News Misses a Big Part of ELA Regents Score Plummet Story

If there is any doubt in your mind, follow the links above to the answer.  I am guessing, however, you probably do not need to take this additional step.

If it is true that charters grade their own papers, and I have no reason to assume it is false, then, naturally, as a teacher, I have some follow-up questions. My last one may, ultimately, be the most important.  

Do all charter schools grade their own Regents?
Do they still grade their own Regents?
Why  is there a double standard?  What is the justification?
Will they always grade their own Regents?
Without the counterbalance of blog-site reporting, and the conversations generated there, would anyone know half of the truth behind ed. "reform"?

No comments:

Post a Comment