About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Dry Facts (Set to "Feelings" and Fondly Dedicated to Mr. David Coleman of Common-Core Fame)

Chief architect of the Common-Core, David Coleman, supposedly tried to become a teacher, but could not be hired.  He took his brilliance elsewhere and wrote national standards for the rest of us.  

In his most memorable quote, he said, as "you grow up in the world you realize people don't give a shit about what you feel or what you think."  I suppose then if I told him what I think of his Common Core he wouldn't, in his own words, "give a shit."  Indeed, I am sure his viewpoint forms the overarching attitude of the whole RttT pep-rally team.  

As I think back on my own education, I don't regret the facts I stuffed into my brain, but I do realize how useless many have proven since my school days.  Occasionally, I spy a student with math homework and, out of interest, I see if I can help with stuff I haven't used in thirty years.  Some day, I may need to help my own kids with the same stuff.  

If Coleman must know the truth, all the things that he doesn't "give a shit" about have had the most lasting and meaningful effects upon my life and those around me.  I learned how to be a caring, socially-concerned citizen in school as well as at home.  Feelings motivate the most meaningful actions in my life.  With this in mind, I have rewritten the tune "Feelings" (1975), as sung by Morris Albert.  In it, I lament all the Dry Facts we learn in school and the Fact that later in life we rarely, if ever, see them again.  I fondly dedicate it to Mr. David Coleman.  

Dry Facts

Dry facts, nothing more than dry facts,
Trying to forget my dry facts of school.
Test scans rolling across my desk,
Trying to forget my dry facts of school.


Dry facts, for all my life I'll know them.
I wish I've never learned you, fact.
You'll never come again.


Dry facts, woo-o-o, dry facts,
Woo-o-o, know you again in my brain.

Dry facts, dry facts like I've never lost you,
And dry facts like I'll never have you again in my head.


Dry facts, for all my life I'll know it
I wish I've never learned you, fact; you'll never come again.


Dry facts, dry facts like I've never lost you,
And dry facts like I'll never have you again in my head.


Dry facts, woo-o-o dry facts,
woo-o-o, dry facts again in my brain.
Dry facts, 
woo-o-o, dry facts,
Woo-o-o, dry facts.



No comments:

Post a Comment