About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

How Many of Your Great Teachers from the Past Would Have Thrived Today?



Do you want a fun mind game?  Take the teachers from your past and put them in the current educational landscape.  How many would have met Danielson's points in a highly-effective manner?  How many would have achieved high VAM scores?  How many would have survived to retirement?  How may would have thrown their arms up and quit?

Quite frankly, many of my old teachers might not have excelled by  Danielson's measures.  They didn't believe that, at the highest level, students must run the class.  Quite frankly, however, most of my teachers did very well by me.  They weren't quaking in their boots, pressured to prepare me for some test that might mean professional life or death.  They didn't have an evaluation system hanging over their heads like a guillotine.  They didn't have to turn over the data on me.  They had the time to give me the time of day.  They weren't always in a hurry to push through stuff.  Many were older teachers and I profited from their experience.  They were trusted professionals with tenure.   I wouldn't have had it any other way.  They helped make me who I am today.  And, I'm pretty sure, under their breaths, some might have cursed (or done a more polite equivalent) this new system; others would have quit!

No comments:

Post a Comment