About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

On the Passing of Robin Williams

I will miss Robin Williams.  He starred in countless memorable roles  from my youth to this day.  Somehow, the one that sticks with me most is "Bicentennial Man," based on the story by Isaac Asimov.  

The movie deals powerfully with so many important themes, including love, mortality, freedom and conformity.

Williams plays Andrew Martin, a robot who gives up his immortality to experience human existence.  At the age of two-hundred years, the World Congress legally declares him human, validating his marriage to Portia.  Now, lying in his hospital bed beside Portia, Andrew Martin peacefully passes on.  With her hand in his, Portia asks that her life-support plug be pulled.


Williams' death is described as suicide.  He was 63 years old.  He had so much ahead of him.  I know there is nothing to be done, but my favorite quote from the movie still rings in my ear, "This will not do."  

No comments:

Post a Comment