About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Monday, November 3, 2014

To Debate Or Not To Debate?



This year I have again answered student pleas for extra credit by offering the option of a debate.  I initially thought we might debate the positive and negative uses of cellphones in schools, but students thought this might be beating a dead horse.  So, as the best teachers do, I illustrated flexibility.  I asked interested students to suggest their own possible topics.  We, then, took a vote.

I followed this strategy in all five classes.  And, you know what?  All five classes settled on different topics.  My first class decided to debate whether or not historically-based video games could prove useful in the study of history.  The next class settled on the legalization of marijuana.  Other classes chose other topics: year-round education, abortion and the right to bear arms.

I love debates.  They allow even the quiet students a structured forum for argumentation.  The classes generally seem to love debate.  And, I recall my fondest memories of A.P.  U.S. History.  When no one else would volunteer in September, I agreed to defend the British in the American Revolution.  From there, I went on to participate in every debate for the remainder of the year.

I learned to see things through different eyes, to anticipate the ideas of the other side and fire away, if necessary.  I believe it is only through open discussion, open ears and an appreciation of opposing viewpoints that we can better understand our own values, their strengths as well as their weaknesses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment