About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Monday, November 10, 2014

What the Well-Dressed Public-School Teacher Might Wear These Days...

When I started teaching, I never would have thought to wear a t-shirt to school.  "I was so much older then.  I'm younger than that now."  

Perhaps it has a lot to do with the fact that the public-school system has been entrapped in a battle for survival over the last decade.  One does traditionally dress differently on a battlefield.



Sometimes, I just find a t-shirt to remind me that it's all about the kids.  And I want to send a message, if only to myself, for my own peace of mind, that some of the most important lessons in life are not in Common-Core aligned review books.  And so many of us managed just dandy before the Common Core crept into town.




Sometimes, the t-shirt holds a message of hope, one that resounds in the belief that there are things large and beautiful at work in this world that transcend time and political scuffles over the profits in people's pockets and faulty definitions of success made at public expense.



Most recently, I added the shirt pictured below to my collection.  It was a homespun creation, albeit an iron-on transfer spit out by my printer.  It is a somewhat subtle statement in support of public schools.  If I cannot proudly support public schools in a public school or, for that matter anywhere out and about in the public, then why have I dedicated my career to that proposition?

So, I debuted my latest t-shirt the other week.  And, if I don't say so myself, it looked pretty special.  


No comments:

Post a Comment