About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Monday, October 6, 2014

Scoff If You Will, We Need Public-School Uniforms Today!

I used to object to the idea of school uniforms.  I've had reason recently to rethink my position.  Of course, there are some schools that use uniforms to help foster a sense of order and oneness in their relentless march  to the tune of test prep. 


In case you haven't guessed, I have different reasons for favoring uniforms.  In this age of educational deformity, it's not just my union that admits we're at war.  It's a fact of life.  Students and teachers are on the front lines.  Witness the schools that are forced to colocate, for example, Bensonhurst and Harlem.  Times are hard for public schools.  We are all under attack.  We need to dig into our trenches.  Teachers make too easy targets in an era of school privatization and union-busting.  That is why I have changed my attitude on school uniforms.  Please duly note my fashion suggestions below.  They do not make for typical school uniforms.  We are all in survival mode.



No comments:

Post a Comment