About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Friday, March 20, 2015

Some Students Respond to Cuomo



Given our fourth marking period was incredibly short and we had time for only one test, I presented my students with an extra-credit option.  I asked them to consider Cuomo's plans for education.  I placed pamphlet facts from the Cuomo camp side by side with facts from the U.F.T.  I asked the students to undertake research to write a paper expressing their own views on Cuomo's plans.  They were free to agree with some points and disagree with others or completely take one side.

Although a few students were convinced by Cuomo, particularly with the hopes of lower taxes, overwhelmingly, students objected to testing and its uses.  They realized that a student's performance on one day is a poor indicator of a student's abilities overall.  They realized that adding weight to tests in teacher evaluations only adds more prep to an already stressed system.

Here are some quotes I pulled from their papers:

"Governor Cuomo wants more Common Core.  ...I am so against it.  The tests are so stressful on the students and teachers.  It's not just about a test.  There is more to learning about the world."  --a 10th grade, resource-room student

"...what hope has the teacher of the class of delinquents?" --another 10th grader

"We should be safe in schools and feel like we belonged [sic] instead of being sorted and ranked by test scores."  --yet another 10th grader

"This is NONSENSE!  Now you wanna out rule all those grades with just one test!"  -- a 9th grader

Here's my favorite:

"To me, the person in charge of cleaning the floors in the school, has a more secure job than a young teacher out of college."  --a very wise 10th grader, wise beyond his years!

No comments:

Post a Comment