About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Masters of the Common Core (Based on Bob Dylan's Classic "Masters of War")






Come you masters of Common Core
You that build the big tests
You that build the cut scores
You that build big failure


You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks


You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your own little toy


You put scantrons in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the young children cry


Well like a Judas of old
You lie and deceive
Education is test prep
You want me to believe


But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the tears
Of a child's pain


You manufacture the bubbles
For the others to fill
And then you sit back and watch
When the tests begin to kill


While you hide in your office
All the young people's dreams
Flow out of their bodies
And gets buried by selfish schemes


You've thrown the worst fear
That turns us all into fools
Fear to bring children
Into our schools


Oh for threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins


How much do I know?
Oh to talk out of turn
You might say I just teach
And laugh at what I earn


But there's a one thing I know
Though I'm poorer than you
That even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do


Well let me ask you one question
Is your money that good?
Oh will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could?


I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul


And I hope that you change
And you mend your ways fast
Stop calling Students First
When you're putting them last


Educate the whole child
Not a money machine
Teach art, music, civic pride
And hear what these words mean

No comments:

Post a Comment