About Me

My photo
A concerned member of the human race

Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Sounds of Failing (Based on Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sounds of Silence")




Governor Andrew Cuomo is tenaciously holding to his APPR schemes to evaluate teachers based largely on student test scores.  Last Spring, 70% of N.Y.S. students failed the Common-Core tests.  If one believes in junk science, one might seek to fire 70% of the State's teachers.  In schools catering to the poorest and the neediest populations, one might fire every single teacher who ever set foot in the building.  Does anyone besides the Governor, deformed "reformers" and some state education officials actually believe this is the way to go?

Hello Scantron, my old friend
I've come to grade with you again
Because Common Core's softly creeping
While my machine's loudly beeping
And the noise that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of failing

In restless dreams I've been a whore
To narrow tests of common core                  
With some questions quite inane
I heard the test scores screaming out in pain
When my ears were stabbed by the beeps of my students' plight
That split the night
And touched the sound of failing

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand students, maybe more
People prepping without teaching
People bubbling without thinking
People failing tests with pencils that do not care
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of failing

"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Failure like a storm explodes
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But the grades, like heavy hailstones fell
And echoed
In the wells of failing

And the people bowed and prayed
To the Pearson God they made
And the test flashed out its warning
In the words that were deforming
And the test said, "The words of profiteers are written on my every page
And help pay my wage"
And whispered in the sounds of failing

No comments:

Post a Comment